Department of Rheumatology
The Department of Rheumatology at Prathima Hospitals, a subspecialty of Internal Medicine provides exemplary care to patients with Connective Tissue/Auto-Immune disorders, which are commonly referred to as Rheumatism or Joint pains. It provides Outpatient Services, Diagnostic panels, In Hospital Work Up and Treatment, Medication, Physiotherapy and Intra-Articular therapy.
Patients are provided treatment based on the disease condition with escalation to higher and more advanced modalities like Biologic when required and a holistic treatment is given.
The department is also active in the training of aspiring Rheumatologists across the country.
List of Services Offered-
The department is equipped to treat various medical conditions like:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Reactive and Septic Arthritis
- SLE- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus / Lupus
- Systemic Sclerosis / Scleroderma
- Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders
The type of medication prescribed by the doctor will depend on the severity and duration of rheumatoid arthritis. Few of them are as follows:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs),
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs
- Biological Agents
If medications do not prove useful, surgery could be prescribed to reduce joint pain and improve its function. Some of the procedures involved are:
- Synovectomy – Performed on knees, elbows, wrists, fingers ad hips, the surgery aims to remove the inflamed lining of the joint.
- Tendon Repair – This surgery involves the repair of tendons around the joint to avoid loosening or rupturing of the joints, caused by inflammation.
- Joint Fusion – Focused on stabilizing or re-aligning a joint when a joint replacement is not an option.
- Total Joint Replacement – This procedure involves the removal of damaged parts of the joint and insertion of prosthesis made of metal and plastic.