Free BMD Camp at Prathima Hospital, KPHB
The amount of calcium and other minerals in a particular section of your bone can be determined by a bone mineral density (BMD) test. This test aids in the diagnosis of osteoporosis and forecasts your risk of bone fractures for your doctor.
How the BMD Test is Performed?
Bone density testing can be done in several ways.The most common and accurate way uses a dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scan. DEXA uses low-dose x-rays. (You receive more radiation from a chest x-ray.)
How is bone density measured?
A bone mineral density (BMD) test is a type of low-dose X-ray that calculates the amount of calcium and other minerals existing in your bones. It is the only test that can evaluate osteoporosis.
Bone mineral density tests for:
- Based on your medical history and other data, your doctor has determined that you are a woman who is oestrogen deficient and at risk for osteoporosis.Your X-rays may indicate vertebral fractures, osteoporosis, or osteopenia.
- Prednisolone or other steroid-like medications are being taken by you, or you intend to start this treatment.
- Anyone who has broken a bone after age 50
- Women of menopausal or postmenopausal age with risk factors
- Men age 50-69 with risk factors
- Women 65 and older and men 70 and older
There are two types of DEXA scans:-
- Central DEXA
- Peripheral DEXA (p-DEXA)
PRATHIMA offers complete orthopaedic services with a focus on personalised, patient-centered care. Round-the-clock services are provided by a committed team of expert orthopaedic surgeons who are assisted by a multidisciplinary team of neurosurgeons, plastic and vascular surgeons, physiotherapists, anaesthetists, and intensivists. In the fields of Trauma & Emergency, Total Joint Replacements, Arthroscopy & Sports Injuries, Paediatric Orthopaedics, and Spine Surgeries, we offer standardised care for optimum outcomes.Advanced in-house diagnostic tools, skilled ER doctors, a full-fledged ICU with an intensivist, and a senior anaesthetist support the dedicated multispeciality team that offers around-the-clock services. One of the best specialised facilities in the area is PRATHIMA’S Trauma & Emergency department.